1 (logic) a statement that is necessarily true; "the statement `he is brave or he is not brave' is a tautology"
2 useless repetition; "to say that something is `adequate enough' is a tautology"
- In the context of "linguistics|uncountable": redundant use of words
- It is tautology to say, "Forward Planning".
- In the context of "linguistics|countable": An expression that features tautology.
- In the context of "logic|countable": A statement that is true for all
values of its variables
- Given a Boolean A, "A OR (NOT A)" is a tautology.
uncountable: redundant use of words
- Croatian: zalihost, redundancija
expression that features tautology
- Croatian: tautologija
- Dutch: tautologie
- Finnish: tautologia
- French: tautologie
- German: Tautologie
- Hungarian: tautológia
- Spanish: tautología
External linkspedia tautology
Tautology can refer to:
- Tautology (logic), a statement of propositional logic which holds for all truth values of its atomic propositions
- Tautology (rhetoric), use of redundant language
tautology in Bulgarian: Тавтология
tautology in German: Tautologie
tautology in Ido: Tautologio
tautology in Japanese: トートロジー
tautology in Hebrew: טאוטולוגיה
tautology in Georgian: ტავტოლოგია
tautology in Macedonian: Тавтологија
tautology in Dutch: Tautologie
tautology in Russian: Тавтология
tautology in Serbian: Таутологија
tautology in Finnish: Tautologia
tautology in Swedish: Tautologi
abundance, amplitude, battology, bedizenment, circumambages, circumbendibus, circumlocution, cloud of words, copiousness, diffuseness, diffusion, diffusiveness, duplication, duplication of effort, effusion, effusiveness, embellishment, expletive, extravagance, exuberance, fat, featherbedding, fecundity, fertility, filling, fluency, formlessness, frill, frills, frippery, gingerbread, gush, gushing, iteration, logorrhea, long-windedness, luxury, macrology, needlessness, ornamentation, outpour, overadornment, overflow, overlap, padding, palilogy, payroll padding, periphrase, periphrasis, pleonasm, prodigality, productivity, profuseness, profusion, prolificacy, prolificity, prolixity, rampancy, rankness, redundance, redundancy, reiteration, reiterativeness, repetition, repetition for effect, repetitiousness, repetitiveness, roundabout, stammering, stuttering, superabundance, superfluity, superfluousness, superflux, talkativeness, tautologism, teemingness, tirade, unnecessariness, verbality, verbiage, verbosity, wordiness